Monday, September 15, 2008

Major Changes Again!

More news and changes have been announced and this time it was from our agency. Friday, I got an e-mail from our social worker - SW that it was urgent that she talk to me. So, I e-mailed and left a voice mail message with the best phone number to call me at. She called me back on my cell and of course, I just happened to be outside at the moment, so I told her I'd call her back in 15 minutes, so I could take notes on what she said. I called her back again and was told that CHI was closing the branch offices and only the main office in St. Louis would stay open as a placement agency. What this means is that since they will no longer have a Chicago office, they will be unable to do our home study update for Ethiopia as well as any of our post-placement reports. So we would have to find a home study agency, they had spoken to 2 local agencies and they offered to accept CHI clients. I ended up calling and leaving voice mail messages at both of these agencies; one called me back a couple hours later and the other called me back that evening. We finally decided which agency after some feedback and just a general feeling and things we knew had occurred lately with one of the agencies.

Now after all of this happened, we also all found out that all of CHI Yahoo groups have been closed. For those who aren't familiar with Yahoo groups;. they are like mailing lists, a kind of chat group exclusively for CHI clients. We all feel a great sense of community and offer each other a great deal of support. We are there for each other in good times and bad. Thank goodness a couple people received the news that the Yahoo groups were closing ahead of the time they were actually closed and were able to create their own Yahoo groups for CHI families and then were able to post the group, just before the group was closed and one was no longer able to post. So, I have joined both the general and Ethiopia groups and hopefully we will get back most everyone, who was in the specific groups.

7 comments:

LaLa said...

As a CHI family (for our China adoption in 2005) this whole thing is so sad and a part of me is angry too. I am so happy Tracy was able to start the new group and now Ann has joined : )

Jess said...

I am so so sorry that you got caught in all of this. I know the worker at CHI very well and this is just a rough situation for everyone involved. :( You are in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you got caught up in all of this. What a mess! I guess I understand why the branch offices are having to close, but what was the point of closing the Yahoo groups?!? It seems like parents could use an extra dose of support and encouragement from one another right now. I'm glad another group was started.

Shannon said...

I have to say I am very dissapointed in CHI. I am not left with any good feelings about that agency. One of my best friends is adopting from Ethiopia. I could not and would not recommend CHI.

I know everything will work out for you and you will be holding your baby. This will just be part of your journey to your child.

The Dishmans said...

It's good to see you posting again. How exciting that you'll be formally in the Ethiopia program soon! We were lucky to have our home study update (for CIS) done just two days before the announcement about the branches being closed. Sorry you guys didn't quite make the cut off. But you know, keep the faith. It's all going to work out - the Ethiopia program is strong, and I just know we'll be bringing our babies home from there soon!

Anonymous said...

So sorry you've hit another bump in the road - I can't believe they are closing their branch offices! However, it is great that you found an agency to do the homestudy. I know you'll soon be holding your baby!
Thinking of you,
Diane C

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you were caught up in this bump. I hope that you are able to work everything out soon and that you are still traveling down the road at a good pace! You are in my thoughts and prayers!