If you're not on either of our Facebook accounts, work with us, are in the know among our extended family, or attend our church, you probably haven't heard the great news! WE HAVE A SON!!! We got our referral call on Monday, March 22nd (a belated birthday gift for Kevin, whose birthday was March 20th). After exactly a 10 month wait on this waiting list and over 3 years and 3 months, since 1st submitting our application, we receive the news that there was a 5 month old boy who had been selected for us.
The day started out not that hot, liteally. We woke up to a relatively cold house, our furnace turned off over night and it as in the very low 60s when we awoke. Kevin stayed home and waited for the heating guy to make his service call. Since our furnace is only 6 years old, it turned out to be some small piece that broke and needed replacing. So, we got a new part relatively soon and Kevin as able to leave and be at work a little after 10.
We both were at work when we got THE CALL. Kevin got the call first. He was outside with the kids, so a co-worker got him. Then Ashley, our adoption consultant called me. Luckily, I had my cellphone out on the desk and it started to ring. I thought who the heck is calling me on my cell; then I looked down and saw that it was the adoption agency. Once I answered, Ashley put Kevin and I on as a conference call and told us she had our referral and told us all about our son. He was born October 16, 2009, so at the time was just a little over 5 months.
When we will pick him up is not yet known specifically, but we hope to have him home during the first part of the summer. There is talk of requiring two trips, but it now seems to be taking effect later in May. If we can get all of our paperwork translated, etc. and filed with the court before Mother's day weekend, it looks like there is a good chance that we may only have to travel once. This would be so much better financial -wise. Traveling once will be expensive enough. Also, leaving our son after the first trip would be so difficult since it might be 6-8 weeks or more until we travel again. One of the positives of 2 trips would be that he would be an automatic U.S. citizen when we landed back on American soil. So please pray that all the paperwork is submitted to the courts in early May and that we don't have to wait long for a court date. Once we pass court, we have to wait to get assigned an embassy appointment and then we'll learn when we travel.
By the way, we will call him Joshua and his middle name will be his Ethiopian name. We can't post his picture or e-mail any pictures untiil we have passed court and are in the eyes of the Ethiopian government, "Joshua's" legal parents, but if we see you in person, we will be happy to show you his picture.