Sunday, May 11, 2008

MIA No More

I want to thank all of those who left comments on this blog or e-mailed me, I apologize if I didn't reply to everyone this has been a very emotional and confusing time. I really appreciate your concern and friendship during this time. Those of you with blogs, I have been following along, although I may not have commented often, if at all.

Those of you in the Vietnam adoption community know what I'm talking about, but for those of you, not involved in Vietnam adoptions, I'll let you know what is going on. Over the past few weeks, Vietnam has announced that they will not be continuing adoptions with the United States. They will continue to accept applications up to July 1st, but anyone who has not received a referral by September 1st will have their dossier returned to their agency. Just before this announcement the U.S. Embassy released a long report on corruption involving Vietnamese adoption. The report makes it appear that corruption is rampant. Yes, there is corruption, but it is nowhere near as prevalent as they make it out to be. It is mainly isolated to a few provinces, a few orphanages and involving possibly a few agencies. The vast majority of adoptions are believed to be ethical and not corrupt. The U.S. is also trying to force Vietnamese parents who gave up their child willingly to take DNA tests in order to prove that they are the biological parents of the relinquished child. Plus there are several other areas that the U.S. government is trying to take control of things that if a foreign government was trying to do in the U.S., they would object to it just the same as the Vietnamese government is doing. Vietnam has just gotten fed up with the U.S. and refuses to work with them anymore. This is leaving many hundreds of families in limbo.

Where does this leave us? If you remember, at the beginning of April, we did send our dossier to Vietnam. But our agency has a very long waiting list and earlier in the year, they were told that whatever dossiers were in the country by September 1st when the current agreement between the U.S. and Vietnam expired, they would still give referrals to any of those families, even if it was after September 1st. But that was then, and this is now. And with how long our agency's waiting list is and the fact that we are #86 on that list, as well as that the number of referrals, our agency is getting is down greatly, we stand no chance at all of getting a referral by September 1st. It has been several weeks, since our agency has even gotten any referrals at all. So the past few weeks, we have been thinking, talking and praying on what to do and researching what our other options are. We are hoping very soon to make that announcement, but until it has happened, we will keep it quiet for now. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers and we promise to share things with you soon!

14 comments:

Becky and Keith said...

I'm so glad to see you post - I've been wondering how you're doing. I know you have so much to think about and I'm sure you're absolutely overwhelmed. Please know that we're thinking about you and can't wait to hear your announcement!

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you...it cannot be easy. I know it isn't - we faced a similar decision when in January our agency stopped accepting dossiers cfompletely, two weeks before we received our 171-h. Good luck!

Karen Wall said...

Glad to see you posting! You have been missed, but your absence is completely understandable. What a difficult time for everyone in the VN community! I will pray that you will know the next step on this journey!

LaLa said...

{{HUGS}} I am looking forward to hearing your news. You are in our thoughts : )

Karin and Rob said...

Hi Kathryn,
We've been following the news about Vietnam adoptions and our hearts go out to all of the families who are affected by the changes. You and Kevin have been, and will continue to be in our thoughts. We know you're with a great agency (we started out with them), and we look forward to hearing where your adoption journey will take you next.
Karin and Rob

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you've been so caught up in this mess, but glad to hear you're working on a new plan, if needed. I also haven't been able to muster up a post, so I completely understand your absence. Welcome back and I can't wait to hear your news! ~Gina

dwayne and melanie said...

Kathryn, I have been praying for you and the hard decision at hand. I know God has a plan for you and the child you desire. I will be praying for you. I know this is a very emotional and trying time. We just have to keep afloat and look for the dry land.

Ann said...

Hang in there, your answsers will come soon. I know this is a very hard time for you...specially when this is out of your control.

gigglechirp said...

Thinking of you during this difficult uncertain time.

Peace to your heart,
Jenni
http://mamushskyworldheadquarters.blogspot.com/

Brandy said...

Our prayers are with you and we know that God will lead you exactly where you need to go! I'll be waiting to hear your "news"!

Stacie said...

Wow - I had heard a bit about this, but wasn't sure what was going on... This must be so hard for you - my thoughts and prayers are with you as you make your decision on how to move forward.

Carey and Norman said...

I cannot imagine being faced with this decision. I was also sad to hear of Vietnamese adoptions closing for American citizens. I know God has a purpose, but it seems as though politics often interferes where it is not needed. We are here to provide home for children in need.

We will pray with you as you make your decision. May God give you strength, peace, and encouragement as you move forward!

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you. We are still hoping for a referral before September, but looking at other options as well. It has been a rough couple of weeks. Glad to see you back.

Tracy

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you.
Love,
Diane Castellon